Here is one way to do it when time is a factor during production and you may not have the luxury of shutting down a system for a long time to do a full clean out and re-charge. You’ll need Astro-Clean A.
- Add ASTRO-CLEAN A directly to old coolant at 2-5% of volume of sump.
- Run production 1-2 shifts to allow the built up residues to release from the most difficult to reach areas.
- Drain system. Remove solids. If using a sump sucker be sure to suction the top of the fluid first, this will pull all of the free tramp oils off first.
- Rinse sump and flush coolant lines. Remove rinse water. Another option to rinsing the machine with pure water is to make a weak dilution 1.5% concentration of the newly selected coolant as your rinse solution.
- Recharge machine with fresh coolant at suggested concentration ratio %.
- Circulate coolant pumps to achieve a good mix. Then get back to making parts.
ASTRO-CLEAN A is a low foam alkaline cleaner designed to remove process oils, gummy deposits of oil, grease, swarf, and normal shop soils from machine tools, floors, and other hard surfaces.
Overview: Primary application of ASTRO-CLEAN A is for cleaning machine tool coolant sumps & surfaces. May also be used for general cleaning with mop and bucket, auto scrubber, spray washer.