Synthetic Coolants are a class of metalworking coolants that do NOT contain oil. Formulations include additives to provide lubricity, prevent rusting, control foam, and control or prevent microbial growth. Synthetic coolants are very efficient at removing heat from the work zone, particularly in grinding operations. Monroe Fluid offers a line of fully synthetic fluids for different applications and varying price points. Our sales team and technical team can advise on proper product selection, simply contact us and we will consult on products, and provide free trial material for on-site testing in your machines.
One of our most popular synthetic products is ASTRO-CUT SYN, a iheavy-duty oil-free synthetic cutting and grinding fluid concentrate designed to offer outstanding machining performance as well as excellent corrosion control on machinery and workpieces while providing a long sump life. This product may be used on a variety of metals, including steels, cast iron, and aluminum; in operations ranging from grinding to turning to milling. ASTRO-CUT SYN has been designed for machining most metals except magnesium. Excellent on cast iron. This product may also be used for grinding: blanchard, diamond wheel, belt, disk, etc. Since this product is completely oil-free, it may be used in most coolant mist units for machining and grinding operations.
- Rapid heat dissipation
- Excellent workpiece visibility
- Total rejection of tramp oils possible
- Usually easy to measure and control concentration
- Bacterial attack may be easier to control
- Usually stable and potentially long-lasting
- No oil mist problem; no oil disposal concerns
- Easily filtered
- Recycling or reclaiming is usually highly effective
- Low consumption due to the fact that synthetics are true solutions with no droplet formation adding to carry off issues
- High-performance products can be expensive
- Residual films may be tacky or sticky, which may cause gumming in the moving parts of the machine
- Compared to oils, they have significantly reduced corrosion protection
- Less forgiving in poor fluid management scenarios and require tighter control of concentration ratios to protect against rust and corrosion